Today applying some updates on our vCenter in at least two, we had these issues; after updating vCSA to 6.7 U3h applmgmt service did not start. The issue happens when applying the latest update: vCenter Appliance 6.7 Update 3h Build 16275304.
Also was not possible to login to VCSA VAMI always get “Unable to Login”.
Log in to vCenter console and check the services I notice that applmgmt service was down. I reboot the vCenter a couple of times just to check, and always the service was not able to start after boot.
Run: service-controll –status
Found a similar VMware KB for this, even is not the same vCenter version or Update, is close enough.
It seems that after the update, the vmware-statsmonitor service takes a long time to start after the update reboot. While this delayed start is happening, the applmgmt service gets marked as stopped. Then this causes the failed logins to the VAMI.
We can simply start the applmgmt service, and we can then log in to VAMI, but the issue will happen again on every reboot. So we need to change the timeout for the applmgmt service so that it waits for vmware-statsmonitor service to start.
How to change service start timeout?
Create a temp folder and copy statsmonitor.jon to it.
cp /etc/vmware/vmware-vmon/svcCfgfiles/statsmonitor.json /root/backup/
chmod 700 statsmonitor.json
sed -i '/StartTimeout/d' /etc/vmware/vmware-vmon/svcCfgfiles/statsmonitor.json
sed -i '/ApiHealthFile/a "StartTimeout": 600,' /etc/vmware/vmware-vmon/svcCfgfiles/statsmo
/usr/lib/vmware-vmon/vmon-cli -k statsmonitor
/usr/lib/vmware-vmon/vmon-cli -i statsmonitor
After the above commands, you can reboot your vCenter, and all services should start properly.
After this, all is worked, and services are back to normal.
Note: In the KB above, it explains to change the timeout on both services (statsmonitor and applmgmt), but for my case, I only need to change it for the statsmonitor. If this doesn’t work for you, change for both services.
After 24h the issues returned, so I decided to change the timeout settings for both services.
I used WinSCP to edit the files I need: applmgmt.json and statsmonitor.json
First, I double check if my previous changes in statsmonitor.json were effective and survive a reboot.
Second, I use WInSCP to edit applmgmt.json and change the timeout from 60 to 600.
Rebooted the server again all services are running. Hope now it fixes the issues permanently.
I hope this information was useful.
Note: Share this article if you think it is worth sharing. If you have any questions or comments, comment here, or contact me on Twitter.