In HCX Service Mesh, when we get the error HCX – IX appliance tunnel down – Service Mesh Service Pipeline status is down most of the time regarding the WAN appliance that is not working correctly.
We see Service Mesh Appliances with errors and not running. And the IX-WAN appliance is without any service running.
We can run the Service Mesh Diagnosis option to troubleshoot the issue.
In the Service Mesh, select More and then Run Diagnostics.
After, we will see the Service Mesh Topology Network. If there is any broken link or a problem in an Appliance, it will show here with a red line.
As we see in the next image, we have an issue with a connection and a Service Mesh appliance.
Drill down to the appliance so we can check the error.
Checking the error found a VMware KB-81558 stating that the issue is with the IX-WAN appliance. There is a bug that should have already been fixed, but in this HCX v4.4, it seems it still exists. This is a common error; we see some blog posts regarding this issue.
Since WAN is not a mandatory service, we can do a workaround by disabling it. Remove the WO appliance from Service Mesh to restore migration services, and it will not have any impact on the IX or any NE appliances.
First, Edit your Service Mesh.
Next, in the Select Services to be enabled, remove the WAN Optimization service and click Continue.
The Service Mesh will start to Redeploy, and the issue is fixed by not using this WAN Optimation service.
Now you can continue your HCX Service Mesh and go continue to the migration section.
- How to install-pairing HCX Manager and Connector
- HCX – How to create Network and Compute Profiles
- How to create Service Mesh and connect sites
- How to create Network Extension and migrate VMs(soon)
- … and more
- HCX Manager and HCX Connector DNS are not working after deploying
- HCX Login error access denied using the default SSO administrator
- HCX – Network Uplink Portgroup doesn’t have sufficient free IPs
- HCX – Unable to Create Service Mesh – NSX-T Only Overlay Transport Zone are supported
- HCX – IX appliance tunnel down – Service Mesh Service Pipeline status is down
Share this article if you think it is worth sharing. If you have any questions or comments, comment here, or contact me on Twitter.