NAKIVO launched almost a month is the new NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10.2 with Ransomware-Proof Backups. This new version is more efficient with Ransomware protection.
Backups companies are taking Ransomware protection as one of their priorities when presenting new solutions to their customers. Many companies have been attacked, and also their backups are being compromised, so NAKIVO made a step forward and added this Ransomware-Proof backup with S3 Object Lock, one of their main features in this new v10.2.
What is new in NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10.2
- New GUI (graphical user interface)
Before I go through the most important changes on this version(which was changed in v10), I will start with the new visual for NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10.2.
With a new GUI interactive visual, NAKIVO has recreated their GUI and now is more attractive and easier to work with. Honestly previous visual was a bit old school that companies don’t use anymore for their GUI interactive visual. I am glad that NAKIVO finally changed their GUI interactive visual and now is more modern and user-friendly.
Now, if you have your Microsoft 365 account added to your NAKIVO Backup server with SharePoint, you can back up all your SharePoint Online sites, documents, and libraries or lists.
With this new feature, you can restore any of your SharePoint Sites, documents libraries, or lists.
Key Features for SharePoint Online Backup
- Reliable Backups – Run incremental backups of Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Online sites.
- Instant Granular Recovery – Recover document libraries and lists to the original or different site within the admin account.
- Compliance Searches – Search and browse your SharePoint Online backups to recover what you need and stay compliant.
- Flexible Scalability – Protect thousands of Microsoft Office 365 users in a single software deployment.
With this feature, NAKIVO adds extra protection to your backups that are store in Amazon S3. Eve your company is attacked with Ransomware, your backups will not be compromised and are protected since the backups in Amazon S3 are protected against any change(for example, deletion).
Since backups cannot be changed or deleted as long, they are in the protection retention period. Any Ransomware will not be possible to encrypt those backups. This will ensure that any recovery points are protected and immutable and are stored using the write-once-read-many (WORM) model.
This immobility also applies to NAKIVO Administrators. With this, customers are sure that their backups are protected and have the ability to restore their systems in case of a Ransomware attack or even improper access and deleting of data.
How does it work?
As we can see in my backup, you have the Immutability set to 30 days. During that time is not possible to delete the backups from our Amazon S3 bucket.
Key Features for Amazon S3 Backup repository.
- Direct Backup – Send backups of your production machines directly to Amazon S3
- Backup Copy – Keep a copy of your primary backup in Amazon S3 to guarantee data availability
- Instant VM Boot – Boot your VMs directly from backups in Amazon S3 for near-instant recovery.
- Ransomware Protection – Apply S3 Object Lock to ensure backup data immutability for as long as you need
- File Recovery – Restore individual files and folders without starting a full backup recovery.
- Object Recovery – Restore objects of apps like Exchange, Active Directory, and SQL Server
What is Fencing?
Managed Service Provider (MSP) customers now have the opportunity to create tenant and multi-tenant to manage their own Backup Infrastructure.
With this, you can create areas for each team in your environment and still managing the same customer. Like, create a tenant for VMware, Hyper-V, or physical machines. By assigning tenants to each area, they only view/manage their backup infrastructures and have their own GUI to manage their area.
- Per backup object, verification is now also available for forever-incremental Backup Repositories.
- Support of Dell-EMC Data Domain DD OS v7.x
- Support of additionally installed/auto-updated Transporters for Microsoft 365
- NAS support for Microsoft 365
- Integration of Release Notes into NAKIVO Backup & Replication
- Use of SSH keys for a physical machine agent in addition to username and password
- Maintenance scheduling
- Restart of Director service from the NAKIVO Backup & Replication UI
- UI improvements
- Security improvements
- Support of Nutanix AHV v5.15
- Granular notifications for Microsoft 365 jobs
- Product configuration in expert mode
Other improvements were added in previous versions.
- Support of vSphere 7.0U1
- Enforcement of explicit file system sync during Backup Repository creation.
When the feature is enabled during a Backup Repository creation, the explicit file system sync is enforced during all backup operations to this repository. This setting is considered more reliable but may lead to lower performance on certain storage devices.
- Backup and Recovery of Microsoft 365 OneDrive
Backup and recover an entire Microsoft OneDrive or separate folders and files with NAKIVO Backup & Replication.
Note that upon product update to v10.1, discovered Microsoft 365 OneDrives will be automatically added to the jobs where the Microsoft 365 account is selected for backup. If these jobs run on schedule, the OneDrives will be processed.
- Backup to HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Support
NAKIVO Backup & Replication supports HPE StoreOnce Catalyst deduplication appliances for storing your backups.
- VMware vSphere v7.0 Support
NAKIVO Backup & Replication now supports VMware vSphere v7.0
- Physical Machine Recovery to VMware VM
To protect mixed physical and virtual IT environments, NAKIVO Backup & Replication offers the Physical to Virtual Machine Recovery feature. For details, refer to Physical to Virtual Machine Recovery.
- User Interface Enhancement (Facelift)
NAKIVO Backup & Replication interface has been enhanced to improve user experience with the product. Refer to Web Interface Components to learn what has been changed.
- Backup to Wasabi Hot Cloud Storage
NAKIVO Backup & Replication allows you to create Backup Repositories in Wasabi buckets for backing up and storing virtual and physical machines.
All information and features about the new NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10.2 you check in the release notes HERE.
Download a trial version or download it to update your NAKIVO from HERE.
Or, as always, you can do it directly from your NAKIVO Backup & Replication server.
Note: If you have a previous 9.x license, you need to request to NAKIVO support a new license for the new version.
With a license per user (with a 10 user minimum), NAKIVO Backup & Replication offers very attractive pricing for Office 365. Contact NAKIVO and request a quote for your environment.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication supports backups of the following platforms:
- Nutanix AHV
- Amazon AWS EC2
- Physical servers
- Office 365
- Oracle RMAN
- Amazon S3
- Wasabi Cloud
NAKIVO can be installed in the following systems:
Nakivo is a Backup tool installed in the Guest OS and several systems or used as an Appliance (in VMware, Nutanix, and AWS) and in many NAS Storage Systems.
- Windows Server
- Linux Servers
- VMware Virtual Appliances
- Nutanix AHV Virtual Appliance
- NAS Storage devices
- Generic ARM-based NAS
- Western Digital MyCloud DL2100
- HPE StoreOnce Catalyst
- Raspberry Pi
- Amazon Machine Image for AWS EC2
- NAKIVO Office 365: https://www.nakivo.com/office-365-backup/
- Trial Download: /resources/download/trial-download/
- Datasheet: nakivo-backup-replication-datasheet.pdf
- Success Stories: /customers/success-stories/
Before I close this blog post, NAKIVO is doing several Webinars about Backups and NAKIVO and their features.
This one is about Ransomware and how to protect your Infrastructures with NAKIVO.
So take the opportunity to register on the last day for the one that will be live today 25th of February.
I hope this blog post about NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10.2, the new features, and selecting and using the new features as to how to update.
Share this article if you think it is worth sharing. If you have any questions or comments, comment here, or contact me on Twitter.