Vembu BDR Suite v3.9.0 – Generally Available launched two days ago (19th January) the new version for their primary product Vembu BDR Suite.
In this new version Vembu as added some new features and also some improvement and fixes. The overall goal of the new version v3.9.0 is to provide advancements regarding Storage, Security, and Data Restoration.
Native Tape Storage Support
Vembu now supports the Backup 3-2-1 strategy 3-2-1 of your backup Native Tape Backup. With this feature, Vembu now provides to customers the full advantage of Backup Disaster Recover.
Vembu supports backup to tape the following backup type; VMware, Hyper-V, Physical Windows Server and Workstations. With this feature, Vembu will support all backup type that you can use in Vembu backups.
With Native Backup customer can:
- Automatically copy the backup data stored in Vembu BDR server to Tape Storage.
- Transfer the latest full backups on a regular basis for Tape Archival.
- Flexible Scheduling of Backups to Tape – you can choose from Daily/Weekly/Monthly.
- Media pools can be created for specific set of backup jobs and data can be efficiently archived.
- Restore the Backup data from Tape in various virtual file formats like VHD,VMDK,Flat.VMDK,VHDX and RAW.
3-2-1 Backup Strategy:
- Have at least three copies of your data.
- Store the copies on two different media.
- Keep one backup copy offsite.
Backup Level encryption
In this new feature Backup-level Encryption in this version, Vembu added extra security to their backup with the option to encrypt data. In this times of so many attacks and security breaches this more than necessary to protect our Data. With backup-level encryption feature of Vembu, you will able to protect your backed up data with customized or system generated passwords.
How it works
An encryption password can be initially added along with its hints during the backup configuration or directly from the management tab of the BDR server. When the backup job configuration is on process you can either select an existing password or you can add a new password along with in the configuration wizard. With this encryption feature enabled all your individual backup jobs will now be protected with the selected password. The backed up data will remain encrypted and cannot be accessed for recovery unless the password is entered.
- Once a password is set for a particular backup job and is saved, all the data you backed up will be secured and cannot be accessed without the set password
- Both the full and the incremental data of backups will be encrypted with AES-256 bit encryption algorithm and will be sent to the server where it gets stored in the form of chunks
- When recovery is initiated, the appropriate password of the respective backup job should be entered in order to proceed with the recovery
Just click Enable Encryption option on the Backup Job. For password encryption, you can set to Vembu System to Generate one, or you can click Add Password and set a custom password.
Quick VM Recovery on ESXi
Customers now can restore a Backup using Quick VM Recovery from any backup (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM or a physical server) directly to an ESXi host. This is a significant advantage to have a reduce RTO from disaster recovery. With this feature, we can quickly restore a VM or even a Physical Machine (server or workstation) directly to your Hypervisor in less 15 minutes.
How it works
After system crash or any major disaster, you can instantly recover the business critical VMs or physical machines on any hypervisors like VMware ESXi host, Microsoft Hyper-V and KVM by using Quick VM Recovery feature.
Vembu reads the backup data from storage target and creates VMDK, VHD, VHDX and IMG disks virtually without using any physical storage on Vembu BDR backup server machine. So, by using the virtual VMDK, VM can be created on ESXi hosts and VHD/VHDX helps to create VM on Hyper-V. And also, by using IMG, VMs can be instantly created on KVM. So there are no limitations with the hypervisors. Based on your IT environment, you can recover the crashed VMs or physical machines instantly by using Quick VM Recovery feature.
- For every VMs & physical machines, after completing each backup schedule, Vembu creates VHD, VHDX, VMDK and IMG disks virtually without using any additional storage
- If BDR backup server is installed on physical machine, you can enable Hyper-V or KVM role in the backup server machine and you can use it to instantly recover the crashed VMs or physical machines
- If BDR backup server is installed on virtual machine, you can use NFS to share vembu virtual drive and instantly recover the crashed VMs or physical machines instantly on VMware ESXi host
- To maintain the integrity of the backup data, all the modifications after booting a VM will be kept as a separate virtual hard disk file and you can include this persistent data while rebuilding the source machine
Auto Authorization at OffsiteDR Server
With this feature Vembu as added another level of security for your Data in your Backup environment. This new feature generates a unique passkey to your Data backup and only an authorized backup server can connect and replicate the backup data to the DR server for Disaster recovery.
Pre/Post Commands (scripts)
This new feature adds an extra segment to backups. When backup or restore a VM, or physical machine, same time customers need to send some scripts to add some additional checks or other tasks and process in those servers.
Many businesses need to execute certain logics before or after a backup job, and manually running these scripts during a backup is difficult. It is not feasible for many organizations when they have multiple backup jobs running in their IT infrastructure. With a separate wizard for pre-scripts and post-scripts, you can add any number of executable commands and Vembu lets you automatically execute the added commands at specific stages of a backup job based on the configuration.
How it works
Pre/post commands allows user to configure system level actions that need to be executed before and after the backup process. This action includes running or stopping a critical application or execution of script files. While configuring the backup job, in the configuration wizard, Go to Settings tab -> Advanced Options -> Click Pre/Post commands
- Enter the command Name, Arguments, Working Path and the Time out value for the commands you need to run before and after the backup schedules
- Before executing the scheduled backup job, Vembu NetworkBackup will start the Pre Backup commands and wait till the timeout value
- Once the backup files and folders are transferred to the backup server, the Post backup commands are executed
We can check here all details about this version of the Release Notes.
For download the new Vembu BDR Suite v3.9.0 click HERE the free version test and then decide to buy the full version.