Just a few months after the release of their version v.3.9.1, Vembu launched this month version 4.0. Vembu has released Vembu BDR Suite v4.0 and is now Generally Available(GA), this new version of their main product Vembu BDR Suite 4.0 has been officially launched and is ready for download.
This new Vembu BDR v4.0 version, besides the new features that are included in this new release, there is also some significant enhancements and bug fixes to provide better performance improvements to their main product.
We had announced here before the new Vembu BDR v4.0 in a previous blog post: Vembu BDR Suite v4.0 will be out soon.
The New Vembu BDR Suite v4.0 is Generally Available now and ready for download HERE.
Vembu BDR Suite v4.0 has a new design. Is similar to previous versions, but has some differences and different colours and design.
New Recover page GUI.
From the new redesign page from Recover/Restore a Virtual Machine, now the user has new options to recover a Virtual Machine.
New restore type.
In the Restore, the user can now change the configurations of the Virtual Machine to Restore. Can change the number of vCPU, vCores and the amount of memory from the new Virtual Machine that will be restored.
Hyper-V what is new?
One of the most important new features in this new Vembu BDR Suite 4.0 version is regarding Hyper-V Cluster support.
Vembu already supports Hyper-V in previous versions. In this new version, Vembu also provides Backup and Recovery for the VMs residing in Hyper-V Failover Cluster even if Virtual Machine moves from one host to another inside the Hyper-V Cluster during the backup process. Backups continue to run without any interruption.
Now there is an option to add a Hyper-V Cluster.
For Hyper-V there are other significant improvements and new features:
- App-Aware processing for Hyper-V backups
In this new version, you can individually select the VM to which you want to enable Application Aware processing. In previous versions, these features are enabled by default for all the Hyper-V.
- Live Recovery to Hyper-V: In the previous version, Hyper-V VMs backup is using the shared path of the target host for restores. In Vembu BDR Suite version 4.0, Vembu injects a separate agent into the target Virtual Machine to perform an advanced recovery during a full Virtual Machine recovery.
- Handling New Disk Addition for VMware & Hyper-V: In the previous version, Hyper-V VMs backup only adds the newly added virtual disk in the next full backup. In Vembu BDR Suite version 4.0 the newly added disk will be backed up in the next backup regardless is Full or Incremental.
- Reconnection for VMware and Hyper-V jobs: This new feature in Vembu BDR Suite version 4.0 works for Hyper-V, but also VMware backups. If the backup jobs get interrupted due to temporary network failures, when the network is back the backup is resumed for the data transfer.
- Shared VHDX backups: Performing backup of Hyper-V VMs was initially limited to SMB storage is now extended to shared VHDX. VDDX file sharing is beneficial in Windows clustering in Hyper-V virtual machines.
- Hyper-V Checksum Based Incremental: Change Block Tracking (CBT) was always one of the most critical features in Virtual Backups (VMware), and now Vembu has introduced checksum based incremental using CBT for Hyper-V. The new feature using CBT tracks any modifications made in the VMs running on Hyper-V and uses for the next backup (incremental). This new feature will be used when the default Changed Block Tracking fails.
- Credential Manager: Now all credentials can be managed and store all in one place. We can set credentials for ESXi hosts, Hyper-V hosts, Virtual Machines and physical server. No need to enter credentials every time we need to backup or create a job.
- New Reports
Quick VM Recovery Report: With the new Vembu BDR v4.0 user can now generate different and separate reports for VM Recovery. Those reports can have many details of the tasks operations launched by the Quick VM Recovery report feature. Those reports include details like:
– VM Name
– Recovery point
– Start and end time
– Target hypervisor
– Status of recovery
- Storage Pool Management: Now user can display all the repository pool in one page for all repositories in the Vembu Backup Server (Virtual Backup Repository, Physical Volumes, Network Volumes – NFS or SMB).
- New APIs and capabilities: The new set of APIs is released to give a detailed report on storage utilization like the size of the VM, storage space utilized by a backup job, compression rate, etc.
- OffsiteDR server Options: With this new version users can now abort the replication job and activate/deactivate a particular BDR server connected to an OffsiteDR Server.
Finalizing this Vembu release blog post, check this infographic to know more about this new version.
In this infographic provided by Vembu, we can see most of the new features and the new Enhancements from this Vembu BDR v4.0 release.
Upgrade Important note: When you try to upgrade Vembu BDR v4.0 from v.3.9.1 you get this error:
At the moment with this first Vembu BDR v4.0 version is not possible to do an upgrade from your previous version. After contacting Vembu regarding this issue, I have the information from them that the upgrade process will be ready and enable shortly. So for the moment, it is only possible to have a fresh install with this first and initial release.
For the official site and details about the full features and Enhancements from this new Vembu BDR v4.0 release, check HERE.
Like we said at the beginning of this blog post, just after releasing version 3.9.1 some months ago, Vembu has released this new v4.0 with like of new features. With this latest version, Vembu BDR v4.0 adds many new features like Handling new Virtual Disks, live Recover for Hyper-V, Backup Shared VHDX and the most significant backup a Hyper-V Cluster.
The new installation is now made very easy and with new graphics and GUI that make easy and fast to deploy Vembu BDR v4.0. Download the new Vembu BDR v4.0 from HERE.
Note: Share this article, if you think it is worth sharing.